Day One--Eating on a Journey and at a Potluck

For the month of September, I am starting a mini-series. My goal is to post daily, or near daily, accounts of what I eat.  People often ask the question, "So, what can you eat?!" when I explain my wheat and dairy allergies.  They are envisioning their life staples of pizza, ice cream, butter, sandwiches, burgers, breaded and fried items, pasta, cheese sauces, desserts, donuts, and so many of the other food that traditionally contain at least one of my allergens.  I then explain many substitutes for their favorite food items now exist in the allergy-friendly market, but my diet typically consists of rice, meat, fruits, veggies, and other foods naturally void of dairy or wheat.  To further illustrate the point that I am not overly food-deprived, I intend to provide this food journal as a way for people without food allergies to see how I eat, and maybe provide some new ideas for those who need to take allergies into personal consideration. I will provide recipes or preparation notes for homemade meals as appropriate.

Now, on to the first entry.

September 1st

This day was a different sort of day for me.  It was one typically wrought with food challenges.  Unfortunately, I did not take a single photo of my plates this day!   I am not sure why.  The morning began early with a 6am departure time with a 5+ hour drive ahead. 

Breakfast

To start the morning, I had an Oat, Honey, and Coconut KIND bar.


After a few hours on the road, we stopped for breakfast at Bob Evans. I ordered 2 scrambled eggs, a fruit cup, some bacon, and hashbrowns dry, extra crispy. I did not inform them of my dairy allergies, and I probably should have since eggs sometimes have milk, but, I did not suffer any ill effects.

Lunch

We were at a family reunion potluck.  These sorts of things are notoriously difficult!  You have to try and determine who brought what of you want to be absolutely sure of any potential allergens.  Fortunately, this one wasn't too bad.  We brought veggie trays and Sabra Hummus, so I had that, spiral ham, pulled pork, potato chips (I wasn't particularly healthy), and vinegar cole slaw. I didn't even look at any of the desserts since there wasn't fruit.  This was very satisfying, and a relatively safe plate of food.

Supper

I was hungry for a salad, and  fortunately, there is a Panera next door to our hotel! I got a chopped chicken and bacon with avocado cob salad, without the cheese, and chips for my side.  Yes, I should have gotten the apple. :).  They packed this in two half containers, which worked out great because I was able to save half for the following day.

Post-Swim Snack

I had sliced fruit we picked up at Meijer's deli counter on discount. I also snacked on a bit of popcorn and dark chocolate.

I will provide pictures for future posts!  They will mostly be phone photos, so the quality might not be the best.  Photos with recipes will hopefully be from my Canon!

Comments

Popular Posts