Day 4 -- Home Again! Maple-Nut Steel-Cut Oatmeal Recipe

September 4th

Breakfast

Good morning!  It is nice to sleep and wake in my own bed again.  Last night, before going to bed, I took an inventory of the refrigerator and realized I would probably be going with hot cereal for breakfast.  And I'm not complaining! I have been waiting for an opportunity to make this recipe again, and, historically, I am not an oatmeal fan.  I have eaten old fashioned oats and instant oats, but it wasn't until a few months ago I tasted steel-cut oats.  Oatmeal with texture and individual grains?  Yay!  Next time I was at the store, I picked up a box, and made this recipe.  Today,  I seeing how greatly the liquid proportions are differ after soaking the grains overnight.  You see, this oatmeal is a less broken-down whole grain.  And, whole grains tend to be a bit more difficult to digest.  Because of the oats and the nut butter, this recipe is protein laden and very satisfying.  There are 13 grams of protein in the whole recipe, and if you add another TBSP of nut butter, there is 17g!  Here is the recipe for unsoaked oats.

Maple-Nut Steal-Cut Oats
serves 2

1/2 cup Steel-Cut Oats
1 + 1/2 cup Unsweetened Almond Milk
1 + 1/2 cup Filtered Water
3 Tbsp Plain Almond Butter (or your favorite nut butter)
up to 1 tsp Cinnamon
Maple Syrup to taste
Fruit to stir in (Strawberries, blueberries, etc)
Dash of salt (optional)

1) Bring water and milk to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add oats.

2) Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.  Add 2 Tbsp Almond Butter, Maple Syrup (err on the side of not sweet enough as you can always add it at the table), Cinnamon, and Salt, if using.  Stir, and continue cooking for 5-10 minutes or until oats reach desired consistency.

3) Serve with fruit mixed in, and a dollop of almond butter and a sprinkle of cinnamon on top.  Add more maple syrup if desired.

Enjoy!

If making this with soaked oats, you can do one of two things.  One, you soak the oats overnight with your flavorings. This is more conducive for a muesli style breakfast and one that is cold.  I've not yet tried this, but based off the number of recipes I have seen for this, I am sure it would work out well. If you soak them in water that you then drain off and cook here is the recipe.

Soaked Oats Variation:
Generously cover 1/2 cup of uncooked oats with filtered water.  Put in the fridge overnight.  In the morning, drain the oats in a fine mesh strainer while bringing 1 1/2 cups of almond milk to a boil in a small pot. While the milk heats, mix in the almond butter (2 Tbsp).  When that reaches a boil, stir in the oats, maple syrup (around 1/4 cup), cinnamon, and salt. Turn the heat to low. Within 5-10 minutes, the oats will be thick and ready to serve!  Mix in your favorite fruits, top with a dollop of almond butter and dash of cinnamon, and enjoy!

Lunch

I ate my leftover pad thai from yesterday. I ate it cold.  Is that strange?

Supper
Trader Joe's Latin Black Bean Soup
Ciao Bella Blackberry Cabernet sorbet in a GoldBaum cone
Trader Joe's Wasabi Flavored Seaweed Snacks

Comments

Popular Posts