Dairy-free, Soy-Free, Sugar-Free, Gluten-Free Winter Squash Pie

Here is my promised recipe for making dairy-free, sugar-free, soy-free, gluten-free winter squash pie.  You can put it in whatever crust you desire.  The ratio for making a pie crust by weight is 3 parts flour, 2 parts fat, 1 part water.  To make a single crust, 150g flours of choice, 100g fat, 50g water works well.  I use coconut oil when I make pie crust for myself.  I weigh it out in the soft state, and put it in the fridge or freezer until it's solid and chilled.  Then I put it in the food processor with the flour and pulse it 10 times.  I slowly pulse in the cold water until the dough just starts to come together.  I form it into a disc and place it in the fridge for an hour at least.  I can then roll it out. (Honestly, if the pie is for everyday occasions, I will simply press the pie crust crumbles evenly into the pie pan, then stick the pie pan in the fridge.  The crust is just as good, but not nearly as attractive.) Sometimes it needs to sit on the counter a few minutes for the fat to become soft enough to roll.  This is characteristic of coconut oil.  If you do use coconut oil, this rest time can be used to make the filling.

Winter Squash Filling

1 prepared pie crust
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice blend 
1 teaspoon salt 
1 tablespoon cornstarch or arrowroot powder 
1/2 cup maple syrup (grade b, preferably) 
2 cups of squash puree 
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract 
3 extra large eggs 
1 cup coconut milk from the can (I use the "light," which decreases the fat, but increases bake time. The full fat would make this truly decadent, though.)


Preheat the oven to 350F.  Make sure your racks are in the middle of the oven.

Whisk together the pumpkin pie spice, salt, and cornstarch in a large mixing bowl.  Stir in the maple syrup, then add in the squash puree and vanilla.  Once that is all combined, add in the coconut milk and eggs until just combined. 

Prick a few holes into the bottom of the crust using a fork.  This prevents an air bubble from erupting up into your pie.  Add the filling to the pie crust, and bake in the 350F oven for about 50 minutes to an hour.  The center of the pie should just barely jiggle, and the rest should be set.  

You can either serve this hot, warm, or very cold out of the fridge (my favorite way). 

Thanksgiving Pie

Comments

Popular Posts