A Time without Refined Sugars

Yesterday, I enjoyed a big glass of Mug Root beer and realized it made my teeth hurt and made me feel bloated and weighted down inside. Before bed, I had a snack bowl of Frosted Flakes with icy cold almond milk.  Yum!  I don't have any complaints about that other than the fact that corn and sugar probably isn't the best snack before bed.

I have decided to start a time without refined sugars to become more aware of the sugary choices in my life.  I will use honey, agave, and maple syrup as sweeteners when needed, but will avoid coconut sugar, sucanat, and artificial sweeteners in addition to the traditional white sugars.  I typically don't consume any artificial sweeteners, except in chewing gum, which, I just realized, I won't be able to have until the end of my sugar fast.  To avoid becoming obsessive, as I am prone to do, I might give myself a free pass if I go out to eat.  For instance, sushi rice traditionally has a tiny bit of sugar in it.  If I am invited to go out for sushi, I am not necessarily going to say "no" because of this sugar fast.  I would, however, decide against ordering sorbet or some form of sugary goodness (err...badness)! I hope to go for a week, but I am definitely going to go until the weekend. Here is to a 3-7 day time of being unsweetened!

Today was the first day of going sugar free.  It was not without its challenges.  For instance, my dad brought home a lemon almond dessert looking bar that I have been looking forward to trying.  I forgot to eat it before starting the fast, so now it is going to stare at me until I decide I am done.  Then, I made a late lunch that would go perfectly with a glass of soda.  That's not allowed, either.  So, today, I am aware of at least two times when I reached for sugar at least mentally.

Here was my menu for today with a recipe post to follow.

Breakfast:
2 Cage-Free eggs scrambled in olive oil with a bit of sheep's cheese on top
1 medium organic Fuji apple
48 ounces of water (I was really thirsty this morning!)

Lunch occurred at 3pm, so I was ravenous:
Quinoa Crust Pizza topped with sun-dried tomatoes, green onion, enoki mushrooms, shiitake mushrooms, cherry peppers, and manchego, pecorino romano, and chevre cheeses.
Mixed lettuces green salad with cucumber, avocado, green onion, and pepitas.

Dinner:
Coconut water
Air-popped popcorn misted with EVOO

Tonight, I also made some granola for breakfast in the morning.  Fortunately, I made a half recipe because this stuff got a little extra crispy.  I decided it needed to cook another 5-10 minutes, so I came back 20 minutes later...  It still will be good with really cold almond milk, though!

Comments

Popular Posts