Wheat-Free, Dairy-Free Cranberry, Eggnog Muffins with a Yummy Crumb Topping




Hello, world!


I have become addicted to Pinterest, but I think I recovering.  The advantage to this addiction, though, is, I have nearly 400 total pins regarding food.  I shouldn't need to buy cookbooks!  And I have made about 10 of those recipes, so the time I have invested is totally wasted...

Anyway, I found this recipe on Farberware's Facebook page.  I saw the picture, and realized I had to find a way to make these morsels Jeannie-friendly.  I pinned it to my Dessert Recipes board.  My dad then brought home some So Delicious Coconut Milk Egg Nog for me to try at Thanksgiving.  I thought it tasted nasty--kind of like french toast batter.  Thankfully, I remembered this recipe and made them for Christmas breakfast!  Yum!  Because I am desperately trying to hold on to the feeling of Christmas, I was about to make this recipe again when I realized I should share this with you.  So, a warm thanks to Michael at Inspired by Charm for coming up with this recipe, and taking such lovely photos (which I am going to borrow.  Mine looked like the pictures [yay!], but I ate them before I remembered to take a picture...)!

Click to go to original recipe.
Spelt, Dairy-Free Cranberry Eggnog Muffins with optional Crumb Topping
makes 12 muffins

For the muffins:
1 2/3 cups plus 1 Tbsp whole grain spelt flour
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup natural evaporated cane juice (or plain ol' sugar)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg (or 1 Tbsp milled flaxseed mixed in 3 Tbsp water)
3/4 cup eggnog beverage of choice, I used the vegan So Delicious Coconut variety
1/4 cup coconut oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup fresh cranberries

For the Crumb Topping:
1/2 cup sugar
5 Tbsp whole grain spelt flour
1/2 tsp nutmeg
2 Tbsp Earth Balance with Coconut
2 Tbsp cold coconut oil

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. 

Line muffin pans with paper liners. 

In a large bowl, whisk together the spelt flour, sugar, honey, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg. In another bowl, combine the egg, eggnog, coconut oil, and vanilla. Add wet mixture to the dry mixture and stir until just combined. Gently fold in the washed and picked through cranberries.

Make the topping by combing the sugar, flour, and nutmeg in a small bowl; whisk to blend. Add the Earth Balance and coconut oil and cut them in with a fork until the texture resembles wet sand. Or toss everything in a little food processor.  I might try that next time to get smaller crumbs.

Fill the lined muffins tins 3/4 full of batter. Then top with crumb topping.  I found I had a lot of crumb topping.  Feel free to use your own discretion on this and a use less.  My crumb topping ended up making a yummy candy seal on top.  Perhaps this what crumb topping is supposed to do.  I've never attempted allergy-friendly crumb topping before this.  :). 

 Bake at 350 degrees for about 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Enjoy hot out of the oven, or at room temperature!

Blessings, everyone!

Comments

Popular Posts