Corn and Black Bean Salsa with Mango and Avocado

I've not written for a while, obviously, but I've been cooking like crazy!

I'm experimenting on the grill.  I have found the world of homemade marinades and glazes.  These turn pork chops and chicken breast into juicy, flavorful, and an overall delightful protein. When I get the ratios perfected, I'll post a recipe.  My general ingredients are orange juice, Dijon mustard, a couple dashes of hot sauce or red pepper flakes, salt, pepper, a touch of cumin, etc.  I reserve a bit, add honey and a few more dashes of hot sauce to brush on the meat after it is turned once on the grill.

I've also made kimchi.  It wasn't what I was hoping it would be.  It's a bit hard to tell if something is fermented or spoiled.   Once the "spoiled" thought crosses the mind, the food never really tastes all that good.

I've also broke in my meat grinder.  I've ground up a couple pork loins, chuck roasts, and a sirloin tip.  The benefit to grinding up your own meat is you can cook that ground beef to, say, medium, without having to worry too much.  Already-ground meat can come from several different animals and has a greater surface area, which means an increased risk of contamination with food-born diseases.

Today, I made an easy, tasty, and relatively quick recipe for the amount of food you get.

This makes seven cups of salsa.  You could easily increase it with minimal increase in prep time.  Also, this tastes good right away, but once it sits for at least an hour, the flavors meld really well.

I was inspired by Living Without's recipe that they sent me this morning.  Here's the link to it: http://www.livingwithout.com/recipes/gluten_free_corn_salsa.  They also have some great recommendations for substitutions if you have allergies.

Black Bean, Corn, Mango Salsa with Avocado

3-4 ears of corn, boiled 3 minutes, cut off the cob
1 1/2 - 2 cups of Black Beans, rinsed and drained  (a can is 1 1/2 cups: I used about 1 1/2 cans because I wanted extra protein)
1 mango, chopped
1/2 sweet onion, minced/chopped to about the same size as the beans
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped/minced to the same size as the onions
1/4 bunch of fresh cilantro, chopped (or to taste)
Juice of a small lime (about 2 Tbsp)
Salt and pepper to taste
Cubes of ripe avocado to add at serving

1) Cook the corn for 3 minutes in boiling water.  Ice them immediately, or run under cold water.
2) Cut the corn off the cob into a large bowl you will use to mix everything together.  If you put a small bowl bottom up in the big bowl and rest the bottom of the ear on it.  This way, you can easily run your knife down the length of the ear and won't have to fight the sides of the bowl or increasing amount of corn.
3) Mix all the ingredients together except the avocado, mixing in the lime and salt/pepper after an initial stir.
4) Let marinate for at least an hour.

Serve the salsa with corn chips, in tortillas, wrapped inside lettuce leaves, on top of a salad, or in a bowl with a spoon.  Top with avocado cubes.  If you will be serving the salsa immediately, you can mix it in right away.  Just be aware there might not be enough lime juice to keep it from oxidizing.

Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts