Brussels Sprouts with Walnuts, Bacon, Goat Cheese, and Balsamic Vinegar

Here is that recipe I promised!  Actually, it is more of an outline.  I often find myself cooking this way, probably because I usually open the fridge and make food from what's in there.  That's what happened with this recipe.  The week before Thanksgiving, I went to a local produce shop and saw they had fresh brussels sprouts.  I was excited and brought them home.  I cleaned them and wondered what to do with them.  My previous experience with brussels sprouts was buying  a bag from the freezer department at a supermarket, sticking them in the microwave with some margarine, and then greatly enjoying the eating process.  However, my boyfriend took me to a fancy jazz bar for my twenty-first birthday.  I had a martini and enjoyed an amazing fried brussels sprout appetizer with goat cheese and balsamic vinegar.  I think they had bacon in them, too, but I ate them too fast to recall.  I felt compelled to make my variation.

I started by cleaning the brussels sprouts, which requires cutting them off the stalk and then peeling off the very outer leaves and shortening the stem if necessary.  It is slightly tedious, but kind of fun.  I then rinsed them off in a colander/strainer and then soaked them for a bit in water.

Next, halve the large ones long way.  Rub a cookie sheet with oil, and place the sprouts cut-side down.  Drizzle them with olive oil.  Roast them at 400*F for 20-30 minutes, or until they are browned and slightly golden.  Add a handful of walnuts to the pan about 10 minutes before they are done to toast them.

Once the sprouts are done, shut off the oven, crumble up some soft goat cheese (Chevre), chop up the walnuts and some cooked bacon, and sprinkle it over the sprouts.  You want to be able to be able to get a bit of the walnut and bacon with nearly every brussel sprout. Return the pan to the oven so the bacon and cheese warm up.  Pull from the oven, then drizzle with balsamic vinegar.  You want to be able to just taste the vinegar, but not have it be over-powering.  Eat them immediately!  They are very rich, so a little goes a long way.  Also, people who don't even like brussels sprouts might like these.  I hope you enjoy!

When I make this again, I will attempt to give you quantities for making this.

Comments

Popular Posts