Quick Pasta with Pecorino Romano, Garden Fresh Tomatoes and Basil

This is a quick dish to put together, and perfect for a mid-summer's day meal.  I was inspired to make this dish when I was craving a cheesy, chewy, pasta dish.  I also wanted to capitalize on the fresh ingredients from my garden--something simple, quick, and filling.



It is quite simple.  Amply salt a pot of water, bring it to a boil, add the pasta of your choice, and cook it as desired.  While the water is heating and the pasta is boiling, gather and chop your ingredients. For a half pound of pasta (half a box), I used 3 cherry-sized tomatoes from my garden sliced into quarters and sixths.  I chiffoned about 5 medium-sized basil leaves.  I also thinly sliced about 5 sun-dried tomatoes.  I finely shredded 1/4 cup of pecorino romano cheese, but any hard, salty cheese will do!  When the pasta was done cooking, I took a ladle full of cooking water out of the pan, and added it to a medium sized mixing bowl.  I then tossed in the sun-dried tomatoes and basil.  I drained the pasta, added it to the bowl, and drizzle some good-tasting olive oil on top.  This would be about 1/4 cup.  If you have an infused olive oil, now is a great time to use it.  I used Fustini's Sage and Mushroom Oil.  Toss the pasta to coat.  Then, add in your grated cheese.  Toss again.  Plate and top with the sliced tomatoes.  Garnish with a top from your basil plant, if desired.  Some grilled chicken or salmon would pair wonderfully with this!

I used Trader Joe's Brown Rice Spaghetti for this.  Consequently, it was best when the pasta was warm or at room temperature.  It was tasty out cold out of the fridge as well, but I really wouldn't recommend that if you are using non-wheat pasta since the texture of most cold rice or corn pasta can be rather off-putting.

Ingredients:
1/2 lb spaghetti-style pasta
3-4 cherry tomatoes, sliced into quarters or sixths
5 sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
5 basil leaves, chiffoned
1/4 cup hard, salty cheese (parm, peccorino romano, etc), finely grated
1/4 cup flavored or good-tasting extra virgin olive oil
1 soup ladle full of pasta water

Cook the pasta according to directions.  Add the sun-dried tomatoes, basil leaves, and pasta water to a medium mixing bowl.  Drain pasta, or use a pasta fork to pull it out of the pan.  Add pasta to bowl.  Drizzle oil over top.  Mix to lightly coat the pasta with the oil and water.  Add the cheese, stir.  Plate the pasta, and add the chopped tomatoes to the top of the pasta.  Garnish with extra cheese and/or small basil leaves if desired.  Enjoy!


Comments

Popular Posts